She’s the UK celebrity hair artist that brings out the best in curls. But when it comes to her own hair on travels, Charlotte Mensah’s secret weapon is a silk scarf to avoid dehydration.
As creative director of her own salon and founder of her Manketti Oil line, Charlotte is all about beauty essentials that multi-task and nourish when she’s packing her suitcase.
“Manketti oil has been used in Africa for centuries and it’s one of the richest, most hydrating ingredients that nature has to offer. When I discovered it, I knew it was the oil that I wanted to be a key ingredient in my own range,” Charlotte says.
This is how Charlotte does travel hair and beauty. Discover the products that she can’t be without – and don’t miss that jet lag tonic…
How do you adapt your beauty routine when you travel?
I never wear make-up when I’m travelling as it’s a great opportunity to let my skin breath and have a total break from cosmetics. Before the flight takes off, I apply a nourishing rose oil over my face and lips to keep my skin supple and moist. I’ll always wrap my hair in a silk scarf to lock in moisture and give my hair a rest from styling throughout my trip.
View this post on Instagram
Any must-do beauty rituals and treatments before a vacation?
Before going away, I make sure having a manicure is at the top of my priority list – I try and get one done a couple of days before my holiday so it lasts throughout the trip. I also schedule in a haircut at least a week before to keep my hair in tip-top condition.
What’s the best way to downsize your beauty product haul for travel?
I never travel without my own Manketti Oil – because it’s multi-functional I can use it on my skin, lips and hair. If I’m limited on packing space I also use a hair finishing mist as a perfume because the scent is light but impactful.
Do you prefer to pack travel minis or full-size beauty staples?
I prefer to take travel minis away with me as they’re so much easier to pack. When I’m travelling I also tend to pack convenient products like solid formulations that won’t spill in transit.
View this post on Instagram
Do you have a regular plane beauty routine?
I’ll usually smooth on a hydrating face mask to help lock in moisture while I’m travelling. I also like to add a pinch of salt to my water as this helps your body to absorb it.
How do you overcome jet-lag skin/eyes when you land?
I keep myself hydrated by drinking lots of water throughout the flight. Once I land, I love to spritz on Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence as a pick-me-up whenever I need it.
What’s your favourite country to shop for homegrown beauty?
I’d definitely say Africa – Ghana and Namibia particularly stand out. Africa has access to a large amount of raw ingredients that are so brilliant for skin and hair. I’ve always loved mixing oils, so I love finding something new when I’m away that offers nourishing and healing benefits for the skin.
What’s been your favourite vacation spa so far and why?
In Serengeti, Africa. The spa was amazing and I loved their detoxifying massage. The massage therapists used an oil during a head massage treatment – I couldn’t believe how good it was.
What are your top make-up tips when travelling?
1. Treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment – this will nourish deep inside the hair shaft to give your hair that extra protection while you’re on holiday.
2. Have your hair trimmed before your holiday to get rid of any split ends.
3. Always rinse your hair before and after a swim in the sea or pool.
What’s in your must-pack beauty kit right now?
1. The Charlotte Mensah Manketti Oil is my ultimate multitasker for travelling.
2. I always take a silk scarf to prevent damage to my hair when travelling and sleeping.
3. Chantecaille Rose de Mai Face Oil – I use this every morning and evening to nourish and brighten my skin.
4. I use raw shea butter to polish and smooth my skin whenever its dried out from travelling.
5. Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence helps to keep my skin refreshed and hydrated throughout the day.
6. My Charlotte Mensah Manketti Oil Conditioner is extremely nourishing and gives my hair shine and protection.
THE PACKING LOWDOWN
Travel light or over-packer?
Spa facial or massage?
Vacation air-dry or blow-dry?
Skincare wipes, yay or nay?
Sheet mask on plane, yay or nay?
For more Beauty Haul Diaries, take a look here