We’ve already rounded up some of the best new workout classes in London (and outlined some great online options to try if you’re not based in the city). Now, it’s time to determine what to wear to your cardio comeback.
Bringing our A-game, we called in the experts to coach us through our workout resurrection – sartorially speaking.
Kirsten King Founder of FluidForm Pilates
“Getting onto that mat or into the studio is infinitely easier when you have invested in workout wear that makes you feel and look your best. Whether I’m teaching in the studio or training at home, I want to feel comfortable, confident, and motivated to move well and work hard. My must-have activewear investment items, presented below, will stand the test of time, provide ultimate comfort, and make you feel good, whatever your workout regime might be.
- A fitted top is my number one workout wear staple. This Live The Process long sleeve black wrap top takes me from morning to night, looking clean and chic throughout the day right through to my evening stretch sequence.
- Everybody needs a classic hoodie to layer over a sports bra. I love Victoria Beckham’s collaboration with Reebok and this high fashion version of the humble hoodie is a favourite of mine.
- When I’m juggling between teaching, meetings and school drop offs, these Nagnata track pants never fail. They are timelessly chic, super comfortable and cosy for winter morning coffee runs.
- In summer, a good pair of bike shorts are essential and this pair of Wardrobe NYC shorts are perfect for a more high intensity session as well as if you’re headed straight from the studio to the park or beach.
- Everybody needs a pair of Lululemon leggings in their life. These high-waisted align tights are super flattering and give you that strong, elongated feel.
- These Adidas Falcon trainers are my go-to. They come in an amazing selection of colours and designs and I wear them for both work and leisure.
- Set Active creates the most beautifully fitted matching bra and legging sets. I always feel on my A-game when I’m wearing this clean and simple espresso coloured set.
Louisa Drake Founder of The Louisa Drake Method
Louisa Drake, founder of Louisa Drake Method teaches unique, multi-compound classes fusing transitions between resistance, conditioning, cardio, stretch, and elements of dance. Therefore, she needs a hard-working activewear wardrobe to support movement.
- The best trainers – and I’ve tried a lot – are On Running Cloud X. I always come back to this model as it’s lightweight and supportive, yet flexible. It’s ideal from when I’m moving from one workout to the next – this shoe just adapts. I wear these for indoor and outdoor activities, and sports that include multi-planar movements, such as tennis.
- I adore Live The Process. This American brand produces functional, stylish, and sustainable activewear staples. I especially love their bodysuits. This particular one caught my eye, it’s sweat-wicking and I would wear this over and over again for low-impact workouts such as LDM Sculpt, yoga, pilates, and barre.
- I still own some original Lululemon bras and leggings that are nearly 10 years old! I discovered them while working in LA, and have always been a fan. My go-to medium support bra is their Energy Bra and I like this rosemary green version. You can wear it all day as it’s sweat-wicking, doesn’t scratch, is breathable, and soft.
- I love the Alice knit pants and Maceo knit sweat from Varley. This ginger-root shade screams summer, and is perfect to lounge in or post-workout. The pique-knit really elevates this outfit.
- I have two favourite pairs of leggings that I rely on for moving with confidence. Sweaty Betty’s Power leggings are great for any activity: they offer support, many colour options, a mix of lengths, and inclusive sizes. I really like the full length fit, and this teal colour is gorgeous.
- My other go-to legging is Lululemon’s Align Super High Rise Pant.The graphite grey is a great switch up from black or navy. I tend to wear these for LDM Sculpt, Stretch, or Barre workouts. I love the feel of this fabric: it’s super soft and lightweight and the fact they move as you move without budging.
- Biker shorts are my other choice when the weather heats up. I love Australian brand Nagnata and own a few pieces that feel great, look great, and are a little bit different from what everyone else is wearing. I adore these houndstooth biker shorts. They are made from super-fine merino wool, so yes you have to hand-wash most Nagnata clothing.
- Another Aussie brand I rate is P.E Nation. These shorts offer great coverage with an inner layer short, and breathable outer layer. They are ideal for runs, cycling, HIIT, or dance-cardio workouts.
Rhian Stephenson Founder of Artah Retreats
I think having the right activewear is essential for so many reasons. On the most basic level, the right activewear can improve your confidence, comfort, and performance. It will also ensure that you have the right technical kit to get the most out of your workout – especially for activities that are more affected by the weather, or have specific requirements. One of the most relevant examples for me is probably winter running: this season I bought a pair of Nike Gortex runners and it was a game changer.
- Nike Pegasus Running shoes are literally a game-changer when it comes to winter or rainy weather running.
- I love the fit of these Sweaty Betty Power 8 cycling shorts. The side pocket is perfect for running.
- Lululemon Align 25″ leggings are designed for yoga, but are so versatile, the are my go-to for pretty much any workout. The higher waist and soft material looks amazing, and they are beyond comfortable.
- I love The Upside‘s modern version of a muscle tank. It’s flattering, comfortable, and fun!
- On’s Weather Jacket is a chic long-sleeved waterproof that’s perfect for running. I love the simple design and contrast panels.
- On’s High Sock is the perfect statement sock – that is also technical.
- This Adidas by Stella McCartney cotton tracksuit is a classic staple but with a more flattering, fashion forward fit than a typical track suit.